Job title : Senior Consumer Loan Underwriter
Job Number :
Division : Accounting
We are looking for a Consumer Loan Underwriter. The primary purpose of this position is to assist in fulfilling our Vision to Be Our Member's Financial Partner for Life. This is achieved through delivering Remarkable Member Service as defined by our Service Standards as well as building and maintaining strong member relationships through identification of member's financial needs and effectively recommending appropriate products and services to meet those needs.
Serve as an underwriter of consumer and home equity/second mortgage lending. Responsible for making decisions of all loan overrides, exceptions to loan policy, rate concessions, as well as quality control and compliance. Responsible for reporting relevant departmental metrics (development, production and tracking) including components such as loan overrides, quality control issues, and evaluation of other portfolio trends. Contributes to the success of the credit union by providing prompt, efficient, accurate and friendly service to members, business partners and internal team members.
1. Will perform job duties in accordance with policies established by the Board of Directors under the rules and regulations set by the NCUA, CFPB, FCRA, the State of Florida and any applicable State laws for financial centers located in other States.
2. Determine and document acceptable compensating factors for approving loan requests and rate concessions beyond the automated system approval within designated lending authority. Consistently apply prudent lending principles as well as exercise sound judgment and decision-making skills.
3. Ensure that layered credit risk is managed through structuring loan conditions, (requiring additional collateral, additional co-makers, reducing loan terms, increasing down payments or lowering loan amounts) in credit union loans.
4. Consult with Credit Union management as required to provide feedback and to make recommendations on new products, rates, underwriting standards and loan policy changes.
5. Provide consultative resources to help members develop a solid credit profile by communicating financial alternatives, flexible rates and payments, and payoffs when necessary.
6. Proactively seek out additional lending opportunities and cross sales when evaluating loan requests.
7. Complete periodic credit reviews and using that information to cancel or extend credit limits.
8. Receive acceptable ratings for loan quality from regulatory examinations.
9. Provide high quality and timely service to all internal members, external members and sources of business and serve as a lending coach/mentor to FSO's and client Managers.
10. Performs other related duties as assigned in accordance with companies policies and procedures.
Education:4-year Baccalaureate degree from an accredited university in finance, business or a related field and/or CUNA Lending Certification or equivalent lending experience.
Experience:3-5 years of loan origination, consumer loan operations, collections, underwriting and/or credit approval experience.
Skills must possess:
• Knowledge of consumer loan products and services.
• Superior communication, interpersonal judgment and negotiation skills.
• Solid analytical mathematical skills.
• Ability to work a flexible schedule to include nights and weekends when deemed necessary.
• Ability to work with computers and various software applications.
• Ability to work effectively with all levels of management and staff.
• Ability to provide consistently courteous, positive member service and foster the credit union's core values.
• Thorough knowledge of credit reporting to correctly analyze lending situations.
• Ability to complete in-class and online training as required by law or by the credit union.
• Possess competency and familiarity with Credit Union lending products and services to provide accurate and timely information
• Remain current in all applicable laws and regulations and ensure Fair Credit practices are followed
• Intermediate Microsoft Office Suite skills