Job title : AVP Actuary
Job Number :
Division : Executive
Job Description :
Client is a dynamic and growing financial services company with 60 years of experience and customers nationwide. In our daily work delivering retirement, employee benefits, and life insurance products, we're guided by the principles of VALUE, TRANSPARENCY AND SUSTAINABILITY. That means we provide products and services people need at a competitive price, we communicate clearly and honestly so people understand what they're getting, and we build products that stand the test of time. We work hard and do what's right for our customers, communities and employees. Join our team and share in our success as we work toward becoming the next national player in our industry.
There are about 15 people on the corporate finance actuarial team. The AVP, Actuary is expected to collaborate frequently with the division actuaries and with employees throughout corporate finance. The finance actuarial team plays a key role in financial planning, asset adequacy analysis, calculating embedded value, preparing the statutory annual statement, calculating required capital, and various miscellaneous modeling efforts. There is a strong team environment such that people frequently can get involved in projects outside their core discipline. Client has grown to over $40 billion in assets and provides great opportunities for actuaries to work on a variety of projects.
Key Responsibilities -- enterprise asset/liability modeling:
Client has had significant growth and expansion of new products and distribution channels in the annuity, group benefits, and life insurance markets. This growth, combined with the existing portfolio of retirement, life, and group medical business, has created many challenging opportunities. This position will be for someone to play a lead role in the enterprise asset/liability modeling efforts. The key activities for the job will include the following:
* Manage a subset of the corporate actuarial team.
* Lead one or more of the main enterprise-wide financial modeling projects, such as asset adequacy analysis, financial planning, or embedded value. This may include participation in the development of the models, providing guidance to various participants, review of output, preparation of reporting materials, and facilitating discussions with management.
* Preparation of complex actuarial models that are used for various purposes.
* Play a lead role in various non-recurring projects. This could include but wouldn't be limited to things like the creation of a project plan and implementation of new actuarial reserving or regulatory capital requirements, working on capital management strategies, or implementation of new governance programs.
* Improve processes and create efficiencies with reporting, documentation, and transparency.
* Commit to self-development and advanced industry knowledge.
* Bachelor's degree or equivalent with strong quantitative background including college level mathematics.
Minimum Years of Related Work Experience Required:
* 6+ years of insurance related actuarial experience. Typically 8+ years of experience.
Specific Industry and/or Specialty Experience Required:
* Finished with actuarial exams (FSA).
* Management experience preferred.
* Annuity and individual life insurance experience preferred.
Skills and Abilities Required:
* Strong communication skills. Communicates with senior leadership and executive management. Facilitates various meetings with actuaries and non-actuaries, some of which include executive presence.
* Has desire and ability to manage and develop a team of actuaries.
* Has desire and ability to manage significant cross-functional and cross-departmental projects.
* Proactively seeks leadership opportunities.
* Highly skilled in PC utilization including spreadsheets, data management software, and actuarial modeling software.
* Advanced knowledge of actuarial concepts and assumptions used for modeling, pricing, and financial reporting. Demonstrates this depth with quality advice and recommendations.
* Proven ability to work independently and manage major actuarial functions/projects and small teams.
* Ability to solve complex actuarial problems independently in a multi-dimensional context.
* Demonstrated mastery of insurance/products and knowledgeable on the industry.
* Very experienced in a variety of company, industry, and regulatory actuarial issues.
* Commitment to professional development.