Job title : Operations Manager
Job Number :
Division : Administration
The Operations Manager is responsible for the operation of a professional lumberyard. Success depends on your ability to meet performance objectives and sales goals while controlling costs and expenses. Responsibilities include proper management of the store’s inventory and employees. Effective communication with the field and internal departments are mandatory for the success of this position.
* Previous sales, operational and management experience of a pro building materials store
* Previous experience dealing with contractors
* Experience analyzing inventory activity
* Demonstrated leadership qualities
* Exceptional analytical and problem solving abilities
* Outgoing personality and ability to build relationships with customers
* Excellent written and verbal communications skills
* Ability to work a flexible schedule, including weekends and holidays
* Store Operations
Manages and implements the overall operations of a pro-oriented store. Responsible for the proper execution of all aspects of the policies and procedures of the company.
* Manages the overall yard activities and store office employees of a location
* Manages the overall store inventory
* Conducts a weekly operational meeting with the management of the market
* Meets with the General Manager regularly to discuss sales and operational issues
* Sales Management
Manages inside sales force and ensures goals are met. Works closely with the General Manager and to monitor sales and profit goals and ensures they are on target.
* Staff Management
Responsible for directing and managing all areas of store staff such as; hiring, communication, motivation, training, discipline, separation and other areas as needed. Responsible for all operational staff work schedules. Counsels employees on problematic situations and carries out corrective action when necessary.
* Standing and/or walking for up to 4 hours consistently across a variety of surfaces
* Lifting up to 100 lbs. regularly without assistance
* Regular stooping and bending at the waist to load/unload material
* Pushing and pulling items of various weights and sizes multiple times daily
* Ability to work in outdoor weather conditions year-round
* Operates a computerized estimating and take-off system (20/20)
* Knows how to operate a forklift, delivery truck and other equipment used to move or transfer material
* Knows the functions of and uses a variety of building industry related tools
An Operations Manager reports to the General Manager. Drafters, Estimators, Inside Sales Representatives, Yard Supervisors, and Yard Specialists report to the Operations Manager. Based upon the market’s organizational structure, other job positions may report to the Operations Manager.