Job title : Construction Inspector
Job Number :
Division : Engineering
Client is a regionally distinguished and growing engineering and environmental consulting firm in Oregon, Washington, and Idaho. Founded in 1982, our 200-plus person firm has a history of successfully serving major clients throughout the Pacific Northwest.
As a leader in providing consulting engineering services in the Northwest, we are currently seeking a qualified individual for the following open position in our Vancouver, Washington office:
As a Construction Inspector, you will ensure projects are properly inspected and in compliance with contract plans and specifications, including environmental requirements. This role will help identify issues with contract plans or construction in progress, and will be integral in communicating and coordinating resolutions to these issues.
The duties and responsibilities of this position include:
• Interpret construction plans, specifications and special provisions; perform layout as required; monitor the contractor’s work for one or more major aspects of a project, such as excavation, embankment, grading, drainage, asphalt and concrete paving, illumination, signals, signing, and pavement markings; collect samples; measure and calculate quantities, and prepare notes to support payment for activities inspected; assist in all phases of structural inspection by checking foundation excavation, pile driving, position of reinforcing bars, field testing of concrete, making cylinders, checking placement of concrete into forms, and backfill; serve as responsible inspector for smaller, less complex projects such as guardrail, median barriers, landscaping, slope flattening, or bridge painting; take measurements and calculate quantities; complete daily records, force account sheets, and other documentation; train and lead other staff.
• Observe and document all aspects of work performed by contractors, determine contract changes as it relates to inspection; calculate quantities of incorporated materials.
• Ensure materials are properly tested and approved before, or during the construction process, as required.
• Other duties as assigned.
An ideal candidate for this position will have:
• Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering or related field. Associate degree and experience are acceptable.
• One year of experience as an Engineering Technician or Engineer, or equivalent.
• Experience in construction inspection or materials testing or related field is a plus.
• A valid driver’s license and the ability to legally and safely operate a state-issued vehicle (pick-up truck, van, or auto) as needed.
• Ability to read and interpret contract plans and specifications, including environmental permits and requirements.
• Ability to traverse uneven surfaces, work in confined spaces, climb ladders to access incomplete structures, and lift up to 35 pounds; sit or stand for extended periods of time.
• Ability to communicate effectively, both written and orally.
• Ability to work independently and within a team, and support a positive work environment.
• Able to interpret contract plans and determine contractor compliance.
Client has offices across the Northwest. We are committed to fostering a work environment that is conducive to the personal and professional growth of each employee. This is accomplished through a company philosophy that combines teamwork, open communication and diverse projects. Many of our projects involve several consultants and contractors, requiring a collaborative team effort. We pride ourselves on our project management approach and experience.
Client offers employment opportunities to experienced professionals who are excited by the challenges of meeting and exceeding our clients’ expectations. We offer an excellent benefit package including vacation and holiday pay, medical/vision/dental/disability and life insurance, and 401(k).
Client offers mileage-based reimbursement for the use of personal vehicles. For positions requiring transportation, use of a personal vehicle may be required.
Client is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EEO)