Job title : Transportation Manager
Job Number :
Division : Engineering
Lead and manage our North America transportation freight network involved in the import, export, warehousing, packaging, freight forwarding and transportation of raw materials and finished goods for production and regional distribution facilities. Will manage an annual freight spend in NA of more than $67MM. Primary modes are rail, ISO, bulk truck along with some package freight. Includes contracting and oversight of several 3PLS and LSPs. The Transportation and Logistics Manager will work closely with the North America Logistics group to evaluate the company s current and future transportation (outbound/inbound) needs. Position will work with the various business units and direct reports to create a roadmap of cost savings opportunities for the next two to three years.
* Conduct strategic analysis of transportation markets and develop a transportation strategic direction using data analysis that supports long-term marketing and sales plans
* Establish a purchasing program which balances safety and environmental compliance with cost effectiveness and service levels.
* Work closely with procurement in freight negotiations to ensure competitive freight rates in both domestic and export modes.
* Initiate and spearhead service improvement initiatives. Create a pipeline of ideas that continuously improve results in transportation and transportation cost, and on-time delivery
* Oversee management of freight payment provider with emphasis on continuous improvement of data reporting and metrics.
* Communicate transportation cost trends and industry development within department
* Develop key service and freight metrics reports on a monthly and quarterly basis. Coordinate with other functional areas as necessary to implement changes that ensure budgetary targets are achieved. Utilize metrics for continuous improvement.
* Help develop rolling Transportation cost forecasts, as well as the Transportation Annual Operating Plan
* Oversee the preparation and presentation of materials to clearly explain transportation performance to Supply management
* Monitor LSP performance on a regular basis to ensure the delivery of all customer orders are completed on time
* Respond to delivery issues and problems presented by my client's external customers. Identify root causes and implement corrective actions with regard to client service failures.
* Responsible for ensuring accurate routes in SAP.
* Provide freight rate estimates for new customer lanes and business.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE MINIMUMS:
* Bachelor's degree in transportation and logistics, business, or engineering preferred or related experience
* 5 years experience in Freight Forwarding, Logistics, Customs Brokerage, or related fields
* Ocean and Air Export experience required
* Must have rail and truck experience
* Experience with freight procurement
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE PREFERRED:
* Minimum combined experience of 7-10 years in Logistics delivery
* Experience in a 3PL environment preferred
* Knowledge of ground transportation operations including DOT and hazardous material regulations desired
* Excellent customer and supplier communication skills
* SAP working knowledge
* Outstanding PC skills (MS Word, Excel, Optimization and Modeling tools, PowerPoint, etc)
* Strong project management skills
* Proven experience leading cross-functional teams
* Strategic thinking
* Comfortable using metrics to manage staff and drive improvements
* Strong Analytical skills
* Team building Experience
* Strong organizational tools
* Certified Green Belt and Black Belt preferred