Job title : HVAC Design Engineer
Job Number :
Division : Engineering
HVAC Design Engineer/ Project Lead
* Degree in Mechanical Engineering
* Minimum of 5 – 10 years’ experience required in the HVAC design field. Consulting engineering
experience is required as well as PE License or working towards Licensure
Applicant must have the ability to be the lead mechanical engineer on projects by directing others within the
department and coordinating and communicating with other disciplines. Successful applicant must be able
to demonstrate the following job skills and responsibilities:
* Leadership and organizational skills
* Detailed load estimating utilizing computer software simulation. Includes knowledge of building
construction materials, knowledge of meeting outdoor air requirements for indoor air quality, and
general understanding of internal heat loads (ie lights, computers, equipment, etc.)
* Application and selection of various types of HVAC equipment including air handling units, fans,
coils, condensing units, and furnaces.
* Design and layout of commercial and industrial duct systems including supply, return, exhaust,
ventilation, and dust collection systems.
* Application and selection of air terminal devices such as variable air volume boxes, grilles and
diffusers, and louvers.
* Design, application, and selection of hydronic systems and steam/condensate systems including
chillers, boilers, cooling towers, pumps, and associated system accessories.
* General knowledge of HVAC system controls desirable. Includes development of general HVAC
temperature control diagrams and written sequences of operation.
* General knowledge of plumbing design would be beneficial but not required. Would include general
knowledge of the plumbing code and specific requirements for sanitary sewer and vent piping
design, storm sewer piping design, and domestic hot and cold water piping design.
* Development of construction document packages based on the project requirements and
application. This shall include project coordination with other disciplines (structural, architectural,
electrical), directing drafting personnel, and checking project construction documents.
* Writing job specific equipment and materials specifications.
* Attending and conducting client meetings in order to clearly understand job/owner requirements and
expectations. Includes, project review meetings, construction meetings, and project closeout
* Project shop drawing and submittal review.
* On-site inspections of HVAC system installations.